Balut – a boiled duck embryo from Cambodia

Do you fancy eggs? me to – just prefer to eat them before the embryo inside has a peck an feathers. The people in Cambodia apparently think differently, as a duck-egg-delicacy called balut is a great treat loved by the locals. The trick of preparing balut is to let the the embryo inside the egg to develop until the bird inside is nearly ready to see the daylight. When the embryo inside is right, the egg is boiled and served with a pich of salt on top.

The Cambodian locals enjoy their Balut normally as a night time snack, accompanied with a cold beer.

Source: wikipedia

Bookmark and Share

How gross do you think this was on scale 1 to 5?
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (159 votes, average: 4.76 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

14 Comments »

1. Wormbrain said,

March 25, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

I’d need several beers before I could begin to contemplate the horror of eating this thing.

2. Glenn said,

August 30, 2008 @ 10:39 am

I’ve had the pleasure of eating balut whenever I visit the Philippines. The two varieties are “late balut”, where the chick more developed, and “early balut”, which has a smaller chick embryo. I eat whats left of the yellow yolk, which tastes a bit like hard boiled chicken egg yolk, and drink the fluid from the amniotic sac. Pinch of salt, gulp of beer. Not bad! Being an American, I was curious about what my Filipino friends had to say on this matter. Most won’t touch it! Go figure.. :P

3. vietboi said,

September 7, 2008 @ 9:22 pm

we have this in the US, visit Orange County and I will show you

4. darlene said,

November 21, 2008 @ 1:19 am

This stuff isn’t bad, it taste’s pretty good. We asians love duck eggs, not just cambodians either. Its not gross, it’s only gross if your grew up in a western society.

5. Revenge_4_Souls_666 said,

January 11, 2009 @ 10:21 pm

This is simply DISGUSTING!!! Cruel, Horrific thing…poor Ducks, they are intelligent and sensitive pets! .”people” who eat this things are very sick and miserable. only SHIT!
    Go Vegan!

6. Anonymous said,

February 4, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

scary

7. Anonymous said,

February 20, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

Ew!!! That is just sick and wrong!!!

8. KJ' said,

March 4, 2009 @ 3:04 am

This, from today, IS the new way of LIFE!

9. Lissa said,

March 22, 2009 @ 9:04 am

wth?? this us just cruel and wrong. fking animal abusers!

10. Who doesn’t love adulterated food? « said,

November 10, 2009 @ 10:48 am

[...] a brotherhood. The Korean guy will defend all Far Eastern food, even Cambodian shit that looks like this. And they hate it when you confuse their noodles. Apparently, Japanese noodles, Chinese noodles, [...]

11. Andres said,

March 3, 2010 @ 1:18 am

This is BY FAR the most disgusting piece of crap EVER

12. hitlerman said,

April 9, 2010 @ 7:14 am

balut is from the Philippines, not Cambodia

13. aggouri said,

August 26, 2010 @ 12:32 am

i feel that anyone who would eat this is RETARDED DISGUSTING COMPARED TO CANNIBALS

14. fourgotten said,

January 26, 2011 @ 5:58 am

Since I first heard of this food as a child, I’ve often wondered what it tastes like.

And these people who call this animal abuse or compare it to cannibalism… I hope, for the sake of their integrity, that they are all vegan/vegetarian… otherwise, they are just hypocrites. “Oh noes! It’s meat that I won’t eat, therefore it MUST be sick and wrong!”

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI